Tuesday, April 9, 2013

2 Samuel 16-18 God's Will Be Done

April 9th, 2 Samuel 16-18

       The cry goes out and the assumption is that "God is on my side." Whatever my side is, for whatever reason we might think that God is with "us" verses God being with "them." Saul's family, Saul's old regime loved the idea of Absalom's rebellion. From our perspective it's hard to understand how people rally around something that was so wrong, and yet in the history of mankind, it's more normal than we'd like to think.
       I love David's response to the man cursing him. David's servants ask if they can kill'em. David's response was in essence... if God has told him to curse me why stop him. If my son wants to curse me why shouldn't this guy. If it's wrong for him to curse me then the Lord will look on the wrong that has been done to me and repay me with good. It's not "God is on my side so shut him up." It's an awareness that in time, these matters will be sorted out by a Holy God.
       Speaking of God sorting things out, 2 Samuel 17:14. Absalom gets counsel from two different people. Absalom chooses the bad counsel and this verse speaks of God's ordaining these events to bring harm on Absalom who even though his sister has been wronged, he himself is also in the wrong and God is going to take care of this situation. Apparently two wrongs don't make a right.
       While I look at David's behavior in these matters it seems like he is being a little passive and just avoiding a fight. It also appears that his behavior is rooted in a firm belief that God will have his way. If I step in the way it won't go well for me, if I get out of the way, God will make his will known.
       That's a tough pill for us Americans to swallow. We are the captains of our own destiny. We make outcomes favorable to us, because after all, God is on our side right?? David is light years ahead of us. David has learned...
       If God is my fortress, then I can stop spending so much time building walls. If God is my strength I don't have to spend so much time flexing in the mirror. If God is my shield, I can rest in regards to the rumors meant to undo me. David has learned these lessons well as should we.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.