Friday, February 22, 2013

Num 26-27 The Invitation to the Event of a Lifetime

February 22nd, Numbers 26-27

       An invitation, we've all received one. It's a mixed bag sometimes. Some invitations come as a real joy that you are going to be included in something. Included in something special. An event that you would never turn down, that you would move everything so you could say yes.
       Some invitations take no effort to turn down at all. The advertisement to the local car dealer with a key attached. I assume I'm one of the 1,000 who will win the $5 bill and not the car. There are some invitations that strike fear. I got invited to Bob Nunnery's office one time in High School. People who visit his office weren't around for 3-5 days after their visit. Needless to say I was very anxious walking with him to his office. I'll know who read this blog based on who asks me about this!!
       Some invitations require an excuse so we can get out of it. People want to sell us something, or they sent it because of awkward relationships. Saying no feels right and odd in the same breath. In the end, please don't make me go.
       So God invites Moses up to the mountain of Abarim. A mountain with a view. That sounds pretty good to me. There's nothing more grand to me than a hill with a view. A chance to see the big picture, feel the breeze in your face, to look out and see the possibilities. For Moses it was a mixed view. It was the view of the promised land God had for his people. For Moses a chance to see everything he wouldn't get to be part of.
       I think about it this morning and feel bad for Moses. It would be interesting to know how he felt. Maybe he felt relief, my time is done, we'll never know. What I do see in this passage is a reality of leadership. Sometimes a leader steps in and brings people as far as he can and it's time for another leader to step in and take people the rest of the way. Even as I say "rest of the way", I was going to delete it and write "on the next stage of the journey." Joshua doesn't go the rest of the way just the next stage.
       Two things this morning. For leaders, let's make sure we do well with the stage we are called to be responsible for and when it's time to be done realize God does a great job of appointing the next in line. Secondly, we're all invited. God's sent out this hand-made invitation to the greatest event ever. It's an invitation of adoption, redemption, purification, sanctification, and reconciliation. To be one with God, to be his son/daughter.

You are cordially invited to repent of your sin, be filled with the power of the Holy Spirit, and live life with the power of Christ in you. Would you say yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.