Saturday, February 23, 2013

Num 28-30 Our Word, as Good as a Contract

February 23rd, Numbers 28-30

       My word, turned into a handshake, turned into a signature, turned into a contract, turned into a contract by a lawyer, turned into a contract drawn up by a lawyer backed up by a court, turned into all of that and people still ignore their word.
       An episode or two of Judge Judy will inform us that words promised are almost simply heresay. One party said they agreed, one said they didn't. Did you get someone to sign anything?
       Here's a wonderful teachable moment about God. God is never not God. There is no duplicity within himself. It really is an inspiring moment to really ponder how different God is from us in this regard. We can serve with a pure, whole heart and moments later have our behavior driven by our own selfishness. This can happen in a heartbeat. The sporting world is a great example. I promise to play this sport for  X amount of money. But if at some point in time I don't like the terms, I will not honor my promise. The contract is not binding. This vow is not binding. I found out that when I sold you this land I could have got more money for it, so I'm selling to ..... No contract, therefore my word means nothing.
        God and his word are binding, because God's word is an extension of himself. Just like there is no double-mindedness in God, it's the same in the extension of His word. To dishonor his word would be to dishonor himself. What would we think of God is he made a promise and then said, "well I didn't really mean it," "circumstances were different then," "I thought about it but now I'm...",
        In the passage today it is an invitation to a simpler time. We still have to deal with contracts in our day, but I don't honor my contract because of ink on a sheet of paper. I honor the contract because I made a vow. I made a promise. Things inside of me won't be duplicitous. I won't say one thing and do another. Like my Father in heaven, my word is an extension of myself, I will follow up on my word.
       If you are looking for a life of strength, this is at the heart of it. Beliefs, actions, words all one. For the ways we fall short, the good news is that you and I have a God for whom this will never be an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.