Monday, March 4, 2013

Deut 14-16 Don't touch my...

March 4th, Deuteronomy 14-16

       Money, blessing, lending, serving is all part of these chapters this morning. Issues revolving around money are a hotbed topic of opinion. How it's used, when to save, what to give, not to hoard, not to be reckless.
       For me and my house I have fallen under the great conviction of Proverbs 22:7b "the borrower is servant to the lender." We live in a world where borrowing is the norm. I've borrowed for a house, for student loans, for a vehicle, for windows, for stuff I don't really need. Borrowing for stuff I need... a house, an education...has allowed me to get too comfortable with debt. As a result I borrowed for some of the other things.
        If the borrower is servant to the lender then I have about 5 or 6 masters that are not God. Being reasonable, I'm sure I'll almost always have a mortgage, but all my other masters are a result of my own choosing this point and I am looking forward to a day (about 2-2.5 years from now) when the only debt I have is a debt of love to my God and creator. I confess I don't really know what it means to be free, or how well I'll do at handling my freedom when I get there. But I know these other masters are a weight to me that I'm so used to that I am not totally sure how they effect me.
        The specific verse that caught my attention was Deuteronomy 15:6 "For the Lord your God will bless you, as he has promised you, and you shall lend to many nations, but you shall not borrow, and you shall rule over many nations, but they shall not rule over you."
        Issues surrounding money are important for our life. I encourage you to think about what the Bible says to us about how to honor our God with His(I was gonna say our) money. God has set these things out plainly, but we sing a song and dance to do what we want. What is God's will for you concerning issues of money! Walking in those convictions will form us into His likeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.