Sunday, April 7, 2013

2 Samuel 8-12 Hero to Gossip Column

April 7th, 2 Samuel 8-12

       Everything changes, resting on what's been done in the past is part of the future's failure. David really seems to go from golden boy to one mistake after another in his later years and today's passage begins that slide and witness of both of the above.
       First, more victories. Winning and aquiring assets, being just and bringing equity to all the people. There is a great story about David wanting to honor is friend Jonathan. They hear about Mephibosheth (not in most baby name books) and David seeks to honor this guy and have his tough life be something different. Now a guy who is physically lame and least in the kingdom gets to sit at the king's table for the rest of his days. Certainly a story to reflect God's call on us to watch out for the widows, orphans, strangers and the poor.
       More victories, then...adultery, lies, asking others to lie for you, and murder. It's amazing how fast one can shipwreck their life. I think about my kids and pray that they won't make bad choices that will have a disastrous impact and then you read about David. I begin to realize that at any age you could make choices that would create big problems. One of my prayer requests for my life is that I might finish all of this well.
       Life changes and navigating those changes well are important. We're two years away from our kids being off at college, out of our house. I begin to think how many of my good behaviors are present just to try and be a good role model for my kids. When they leave I will no longer feel compelled to _________.  By God's grace that will all go well, but I see how those kinds of things can be difficult for people to navigate.
         David had wives and concubines, how hard would it be for the lines to be blurred so that any woman he wanted could be the order of the day. It's not so difficult to see the problem brewing.
        God's at the center, becoming like him is the priority, growth towards that should be our focus, all of your days. By God's grace, may it be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.