Saturday, April 13, 2013

I Kings 3-5 The Best things in Life

April 13th, I Kings 3-5

       Solomon and his famous request for wisdom is what permeates our story today. It easily triggers thoughts of what I would ask for. What would make my life better? A genie and three wishes is an overdone story line, and the lottery is the modern expression of our strongly held belief that riches would somehow improve our life. I'm willing to try, but evidence seems to support the notion that money isn't the answer. Power and fame spring into action for many as well. All of them at some point will ring as hollow as a high school cheer eventually.
       I'm feeling a bit like I should be reading the book of Ecclesiastes today. I look out my kitchen window at all the snow and realize I am filthy rich by world standards and lower middle class by american standards. I try to scrape together some money for a camping trip as a vacation. Not complaining, but obviously money is not, in an over the top way, improving my life.
       On a worldwide note I'm about as famous as Philip Goulee. Who's that? Exactly my point.
       From the standpoint of power, I have a position with some authority, but we're talking about a small subset of a small/medium sized town in a county, in a state, in a country, in a world of 6-7 billion...you get the picture.
        Some how you and I still have an important part to play in the midst of the smaller picture for which we are part. Solomon's request should be our request regardless of the level of any of the above. In the midst of seeking the above, we will miss the greater values of doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly. Being GREAT is not the same as BEING great. One generally leads to another and the one keep us from the other. I'll let you sort out what I'm saying there...just for fun.
       In all that's done under the sun today, bringing God glory is the task!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.