Monday, April 15, 2013

I Kings 8-9 Who's Idea is This?

April 15th, I Kings 8-9

       Who's idea is this? Today takes us to the dedication of the temple that Solomon built. It reminds me of the question God asked David when he was fired up to build this thing and that is..."When did I ever ask anyone to build a house for me." Also from Isaiah, "The heavens are my throne the earth is my footstool, where is the house you will build for me."
       All I can think is that all this effort goes into this building that was David's idea and not God's. We build this monster over the top impressive thing, but for who really. I imagine heaven and the place that God has built for himself. Based on the book of Revelation, I'm gonna guess that this house that Solomon built is fair, I mean it's okay. God can speak and make a universe come into existence, but your seven years of labor has made a nice little place.
       So who is this for. God's not in need of a house, the earth is his ottoman according to Isaiah. I'm thinking we're the ones who want to be reminded of the greatness of God. Much of Solomon's presentation has to do with impressing the neighbors with how big our God is. Is the house for God, or is the house for us?
       People build things for "God" when maybe it's not really for God. How much do I do that? How much do you do that? Seven years is a lot of time building something that God never asked for. Yeah, God gave some plans to build this thing, but none of this was initiated by Him. I'm not saying that building the temple was a bad idea mind you. If God thought it was not worth their time and energy he could have put a stop to it. He knows what has been long evidenced in this story, that we need something tangible in front of us so we don't go off and make golden calves.
       But the thought for the morning is that we learn to do what God asks of us, not forge ahead with our own plans when God hasn't even asked that of us.
       Secondly, God has promised to go and prepare a place for us. So if the temple was impressive by the hand of man, guess what the hand of God could build?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.