Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Mark 4-5 I will lift my eyes to the Calmer

October 16th, Mark 4-5

       Waves, chaos and fear. I admit, I am a bit of a land lover. I currently live in the land of 10,000 lakes but I grew up and have outdoor experience in a land of few lakes. I grew up with a compass and rugged terrain. I'd rather read a map and cut a trail through the mountains than find myself in a boat on the water. It's just what I'm used to. Being on a boat during a storm multiplies that by hundreds, I feel out of control and death by drowning sounds horrible.
       The story of Jesus and the disciples crossing the sea, makes a lot of sense to me. Rembrandt's rendition of this story is a favorite of mine. If that was me in that painting, like the disciples, I would be losing it. Standard rule of panicked people, is a desire for others to be panicked with us, thus the question asked of Jesus..."Teacher do you not care that we are perishing?" When the chaos of life fills the room with toxicity we think the caring thing for others to do is to be toxic with us...yeah...helpful!(sarcastic eye-roll)
       Jesus response..."Why are you afraid?" Well...uh... see picture to the right! "Do you still have no faith?"  You see the knee-jerk reactions of our lives tell a story. What Jesus wants is for them to know that Christ is in the boat with them, we can ride out this and any other storm. On a solid day that might actually happen.
       Our knee jerk reaction should be to run to Jesus. But not with an accusation about his lack of concern, but just an honest confession. This is all freaking me out, Jesus can you do something about this storm or just remind me of your presence and that with you it's gonna work out.
     
       A few lyrics from our day...
I will praise you in the storm...
I will worship while I'm waiting...(not accuse you while I'm waiting)
I will lift my eyes to the calmer of the oceans raging wild...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.