Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Week One The world around me: Beauty Eh

       Beauty eh! Works if your Canadian! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Beauty is only skin deep. A thing of beauty. Age before beauty.
       I immerse myself in a hobby that is a constant consideration of beauty, pleasing lines, correct shapes and styles. When I get carried away sometimes I am reminded of the verse from Ecclesiastes ...

 All things are wearisome,
    more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
    nor the ear its fill of hearing.

      
        Looking more and more at beautiful things has a way of stealing the joy of beautiful things. At some point there begins to be an emptiness with the obsession about seeing beautiful things. 
       I was listening to the radio last week and a lady was speaking about beauty. She was talking about attributes of God and how we are created in God's image. That God's creation is beautiful. While it says of Jesus that he wasn't much to look at... the truth is..."Nothing compares to the Beauty of the Lord." God is beautiful. This lady on the radio was saying that part of the reason women wrestle with issues related with beauty revolves around the God given gift of beauty. The pressure to portray the beauty of God. The knowledge that men are attracted to beauty. The realization that God ordained ways become twisted and fallen and instead of bringing life as God intends, the sinful version steals life.
        Beauty is kinda like tastebuds, it's not a real requirement to run the universe, but the flavor of vanilla, and a towering waterfall, and my beautiful wife are all wonders to enjoy.
       The fall away from God mars these gifts, reduces them to things for our pleasure instead of a source for which we take in the sunset and say Thank You God!!
       I was forced to watch the Bachelor last monday(yes I was going to watch the BCS Championship Game). I noticed a lot of beauty. I noticed a lot of insecurity. I noticed a lot of irony. Gratefully I noticed a beauty born in the confidence of a right relationship with our maker. The coolest thing was the later was in my living room and said yes to me years ago. Beauty Eh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.