Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Week Two: The world as best I remember: Faithfulness


       Faithfulness: Two things that come to mind when I think of this word...
  • Holding on to a promise. God's promises don't run out or get cut short or have an expiration date.
  • Marital vows. I promised my wife I would love her and her alone 'til death do us part.
       I've come upon a realization in my life. I'm a little weak on faithfulness...hold on it's not what you think. This week I've been thinking of faithfulness in terms of consistently, day-in-and-day-out keeping up with my obligations. I'm a project kinda guy. I can focus much thought and energy into a project. A beginning, an ending with steps along the way. Life is a series of projects strung together. The more varied the projects the better...intense short term focus that changes year to year, season to season.
       But you see there is part of my life that needs focus that is a little different. Everyday attention to a lifelong project...faithfulness. All the of the sudden the word becomes a little boring to me, you know...oatmeal again this morning kinda boring!! It leads me to another related observation this week...
       I love change...God is Immutable. God never changes. Hasn't changed for years (infinity X infinity). It dawns on me how much I love change, need change, see benefit in change. Something I value for my personal experience is an opposite value in my relationship with God... a rock that doesn't change, shift, move, wear down, give up, or wake up on the wrong side of the bed.
        I realize God is perfect...he has no reason for change. I'm imperfect...in need of more change than I could ever be aware. God's quality of faithfulness is certainly rooted in being unchangeable. My progress towards faithfulness can only come when I stop needing to change (another reason Heaven is a mind blower). In the mean time I'll be thankful for Him and continue on my path to become something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.