Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Lam 1-3.5 Ghost Towns and Empty Bedrooms

August 28th, Lamentations 1-3.5

       When I started reading Lamentations this morning I thought of ghost towns. Growing up in Colorado there are a lot of ghost towns. Mining and agriculture, falling prices and dustbowls create a lot of people, followed by a lot of leaving. Structures abandoned, left to stand alone for ages.
       I see the prophet wandering the streets of Jerusalem...a tumbleweed(my Colorado heritage) rolling across a street where thousands used to walk. It's a little eerie, sad, "what's become of this once great place?" For the writer of Lamentations it's a loss.
       "How lonely sits the city that was full of people! How like a widow she has become, she was great among the nations."..."Your ruin is as vast as the sea; who can heal you?"
       We could certainly enter into thoughts of why this has happened, but we have a lot of "Prophets" to go. What interests me more is the thought of mourning our losses well. Being able to identify some of the hurt that comes from letting something go.
       My daughter just moved out for college. While she's only 6 miles away there is a recognition of loss. Less laughter, less friends, less enjoyable chaos in the house. Our relationship is changing. I've turned the reins over to the Holy Spirit. It's time for her to follow God, live in conviction that comes from Him and not from me.
       Cleaning out some church closets I sort through pictures of different times. Times when the church was filled to the brim, now their is a remnant seeking God, but it's different. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Without mourning there is no comfort.
       The prophet here mourns the loss he sees in the ghost town of Jerusalem, through his mourning he comes to a great conclusion..."The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning, great is your faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will hope in Him" Lam 3:22-24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.