Friday, January 18, 2013

Ex 1-3 It's Complicated

January 18th, Exodus 1-3

       Like the book before, Exodus starts out at warp speed with events.In the middle of the heartache is a young man growing up with signs of God's hand all over and yet conflicted about loyalties. Who am I, where is my place in this world. On a very bad day Moses decides to murder an Egyptian. What Moses thought was going to be help turns into more confusion about identity. A story repeated in all of our lives.
       Like our lives, fleeing becomes the best option, running from our lives is easier than dealing with it. Then in the midst of everyday life, God shows up and the chaos increases.
       After reading all of this a few times this morning, I can help but feel the difference between the chaos, confusion, and conflicted character Moses and God. When Moses asks God for some authority by which he would go do what's being asked, here's what God says...
       
        Exodus 3:13-15 13 Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?” 14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am.[c] This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”15 God also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, ‘The Lord,[d] the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.’“This is my name forever,   the name you shall call me  from generation to generation.

              I want to celebrate this morning that our story of life is different than God's story. In the midst of the highs and lows of my life there is an I AM. An I AM that is not, I was, I might, I'm going to be. Just like Moses, God calls us to go minister to situations of instability, the rock for my life is not me becoming more stable by myself, rather becoming stable because I'm rooted in the one WHO IS, the I AM.
       The confusion of our life's identity, finds hope and a home in the heart of God. That's my prayer for us all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.