Thursday, August 1, 2013

Isaiah 18-22 The Two most important things in discipline!!

August 1st, Isaiah 18-22

       If reconciliation is the goal, then the punishment is separation. Yesterday I had a fun conversation reminiscing about disciplining our children. It sure was a lot more fun to talk about it in past tense than to be in the midst of it. But one thing came up that is also evident in these issues surrounding the discipline of God's people.
       Children have no boundaries, they are made by parents. Boundaries that keep them from going to far(don't run out into the street) and boundaries that keep them from getting too close (I told you once that we are not getting that, when you keep asking you are being disrespectful of me and you will stop). R.E.S.P.E.C.T. find out what it means to me!!(I sang that a lot to my kids)
       When authority is challenged it is always time for discipline. In our family sometimes it involved a spanking, sometimes sitting in a certain spot, it depended on the crime. But discipline has something to do with saying NO to little tyrants who intentionally cross boundaries. Parents fail to do this all the time. Don't fail because it will come back to bite you pretty hard.
       The other failure is the one that breaks my heart most and that is this... after the time of separation, of saying NO... there is a time for unconditional love. I disciplined my kids and it's over, now is the time to show them how much I love them, reconcilation. I wanted them to feel the weight of being separate and the contrast of the joy and the great knowledge of being one with me. My kids wanted to know they were loved by me after getting in trouble. I went way out of my way to give them as big a hug as they wanted, to read or play or just be with them. I wanted them to also know they were loved.  To create in them the awareness of not wanting to be distant from the ones they love.  To learning the same with God. I don't want to be distant from Him.
       The Israelites are distant from God, They have separated themselves, they are living in a moment of discipline. As rough as the moment feels, God steps in to remind us of his love that is constant. The time of separation comes to a close and to feel close in the arms of a loving God. We live in this cycle as an individual, as a family, as a church, as a nation. Knowing where your at in the cycle will help with growth and understanding where you should be or where you should stay!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.