Saturday, August 10, 2013

Isaiah 59-63 Strength, Mission, Identity, Goal

August 10th, Isaiah 59-63

       One of my all-time favorite sections of scripture is part of today's reading!! It is the mission of God and an attempt on my part to make it the mission of my life... Isaiah 61:1-3
        The strength of almighty God is upon us. That's great news by itself, but it goes on to inform us of our mission for life...
       Preach good news to the poor, bind up the brokenhearted, proclaim liberty to the captive, freedom for prisoners, proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance, comfort those who mourn. That is our mission in life. We get caught up in what job do I want, what house should I buy, how will the Denver Broncos do this season...our mission gets muddled like "Fox in Socks" (great book, pithy mission)!
       The passage goes on to talk about our identity, what defines you and I, and gives us clarity about God's desires for us.  That we would know beauty instead of ashes, gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. Try on the first of those pairs and put off the second and see how different life can be.
        Finally the goal for you and I, that we would be oaks of righteousness. I think of the tall powerful, twisted, weathered, mighty oak trees I have seen. No doubt about their age, no doubt about their strength, no doubt about the acorns, shade, blessing they provide to others. This is what we would grow into.
       So God gives us his strength in His Spirit, a mission, an identity, and a vision for our future. Let us press into walking side by side with God in this adventure of faith and provision.

       God thank you for clarity about core issues in my life. And for confusion about other things, may I learn to trust and walk with you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.