Friday, September 27, 2013

Habakkuk - Zephaniah Hope!



Guest Blogger - Cheri Hudspith - sister to Terry

I loved reading through these two small books. 

Habakkuk seems to being saying, “I’ve got questions.2 plus 2 is not adding up and I don’t understand." I love that Habakkuk trusted that it was okay to ask his questions. I love God shows us through his examples and lots of other people in the Bible that it's okay to go to God with our questions too. I love that he’s confident that at some point God will answer his questions. Habakkuk asks them and then he goes to a place where he can watch and wait for the Lord to answer. I love this example too. God answers our questions as He sees fit and in the timing He believes is best. 

I also love Habakkuk's response to the Lord’s answer. He basically admits that he didn’t get the immediate action he was longing for. But he makes a decision to be a righteous man and trust that ultimately God will be found just and true in all things. I am so grateful, that like Habakkuk God gives us the righteousness we need to live by faith. Habakkuk not only believes but decides on a day when he didn't get the immidate answer he was looking for to rejoice in the promises that will be fulfilled in the future. Submission truly changes what our hearts are capable of doing. 

Zephaniah’s words remind me of standing at the top of the Mount of Olives looking out over the temple mount in Jerusalem last April. I had been told that it is an amazing view. So I was expecting that to be a positive experience. Instead, I was filled with sorrow. The Jerusalem that exists today represents the long wait and turmoil of this age to me. It is not what it once was. It is not what it will be one day. In large part it represents people misunderstanding what God has done for us.

But one day... one day. All will be made right. 
Zephaniah 3:14 & 15 - Sing, O daughter of Zion; shout aloud, O Israel!
Be glad and rejoice with all your heart,
O daughter of Jerusalem!
For the Lord will remove his hand of judgement and will disperse the armies of your enemy.
And the Lord himself, the King of Israel will live among you!
At last your troubles will be over, and you will never fear disaster.

I am looking forward with Zephaniah to that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.