Monday, November 11, 2013

John 16-18 Peace, Trouble, and Overcoming

November 11th, John 16-18

       There are a couple of favorites for me in today's word. The first comes from 16:33... "I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace." The word of God is purposeful. Unlike some who speak just to hear themselves talk, when God speaks he has something to say, something worth listening to. If we would listen and hear His words we would find peace.\
       The rest of the verse goes on to say..."In the world you will have trouble. But take heart; I have overcome the world." We are tempted to convert this verse a little. Instead of trouble that can be overcome through Christ, we take out the two extremes and try to replace it with "easy." There is never a promise of easy or safe or comfortable. The promise is peace, trouble and overcoming! And my guess is, a healthy dose of each.
       The second verse I love today is 17:11b..."Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given them, that they may be one, even as we are one."  That request gets extended to you and I in 17:20-21..."I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you Father are in me, and I in you, that they may also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me."
       In a fractured world, there is a glorious day when all will be one. For the moments and places I find that true on this side of heaven, I will rejoice with great enthusiasm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.