Wednesday, May 8, 2013

I Chron 22-24 Blessed by another and passing it on

May 8th, I Chronicles 22-24

       David was so excited to build the Temple that even after God told him it was not going to be his project he decided to stockpile vast resources. Iron for nails, bronze in quantities not worth trying to measure. Cedar brought in by other nations. No plans in place yet, just a simple "Papa Johns" philosophy...Better Ingredients, Better Pizza(product).
       For Solomon it is an interesting place to be. This is your project, but dad has more than a vested interest in it. It was his dream. Sometimes heritage carries a weight of expectation. A weight that some crumble under. But I hope we all learn to recognize the joy of it as well.
       A heritage provides for us a set of norms that we use as a foundation for our life. Like David's acquisition of materials, Solomon's construction project starts in a different place than if he didn't. We should look back and give thanks to the gathering of materials that our forefathers have done for us. 
       We should also look forward and do a great job of laying the groundwork for our kids and our kids kids. I know for some, this gift from generations that came before us is given more like a weight. I know it's hard to separate out sometimes, but try to appreciate the blessing and drop the weight.
       To my parents I say thanks for chopping down much of the forest and laying down a bed of gravel so I could have a good start on this journey of life. Thanks for loving Jesus so that concept wouldn't be strange to me.Thanks for taking risks, because in God there is no risk except not to follow. Thanks for sorting out the best of your role models and giving me permission to do the same. Pray for our kids that they would continue on in paths of righteousness and be a blessing for a thousand generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.