Thursday, June 6, 2013

Job 17-20 Job has a winning record of 6-0 heading into tomorrow

June 6th, Job 17-20

       Job 19:1-6...

19 Then Job replied:
“How long will you torment me
    and crush me with words?
Ten times now you have reproached me;
    shamelessly you attack me.
If it is true that I have gone astray,
    my error remains my concern alone.
If indeed you would exalt yourselves above me
    and use my humiliation against me,
then know that God has wronged me
    and drawn his net around me.


       Valid question that I've wanted to ask a few "friends." How long will you torment me?!!. It's like this... Hey look guys if I have done something wrong I get it. You can stop telling me about it over and over and over and over and over and over and over...(you get my drift), AGAIN. You've expressed it enough, now it's time for me to do something with it...oh...okay...over and over and over AGAIN." There, that's ten over's, see how annoying it is to even read, much less hear your friends tell you how rotten you are(when your not, see chapters 1-3).
       The part I really like is the last phrase. If I'm in the clutches of God's judgement against me..."He has drawn His net around me." Even in God's punishment, it's a safer place to be than completely outside of his will. Which is part of the admonition at the end of the chapter for these men to examine themsleves in all of this. Much like the Psalms of David, the chapter is filled with the weight of grief, but ends in a moment of clarity... verses 25-27

25 I know that my redeemer[a] lives,
    and that in the end he will stand on the earth.[b]
26 And after my skin has been destroyed,
    yet[c] in[d] my flesh I will see God;
27 I myself will see him
    with my own eyes—I, and not another.
    How my heart yearns within me!

The counselors get counseled and God is lifted to his rightful place by Job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.