Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Psalm 32-35 I Vow Never to Defend Myself

June 19th, Psalms 32-35

       One of A. W. Tozer's five famous vows was... "I vow never to defend myself." After reading this mornings Psalms it's easy to see where he came up with this as a value.

Psalm 35:1-2 "Contend O Lord, with those who contend with me, fight against those who fight against me! Take hold of shield and buckler and rise for my help!"

Psalm 34: 17-18 "When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit."

Psalm 34:10 "Those who seek the Lord, lack no good thing."

Psalms 33:16-17, 20 "The King is not saved by his great army, a warrior is not delivered by his great strength. The war horse is a false hope for salvation and by it's great might it cannot rescue....Our soul waits for the Lord; he is our help and our shield."

       God is our defender and God deserves the glory for his actions. If I allow God to be my defense then I can rest is something powerful. If I choose to be my own defender, God will let me, but then it all has to be about my ability. How does God get any glory if I defend myself and give myself some props!
       People spread rumors, cast doubt on us as people. It's tempting to chase it all down and correct it. But God is my defense. My friends know the truth even when others make accusation. I don't have to defend myself to everyone, I just need to be upright before my God and allow him to defend me. He has a few more resources and will do a better job!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.