Friday, September 20, 2013

Hosea 8-14 The Hunger Games

September 20th, Hosea 8-14

       Fill and forget, sounds like the perfect gas tank or bank account!!! To not have something always be before you, to have moments where things just work and you don't have to think about it. I'm grateful that many things in my life are just that. My car, my furnace, my new apple computer...they just work. I don't have to think about them too much. You know how much you quietly rely on them when they stop working, when you have to start thinking about them.
       While fill and forget is a nice thing, and it might work with inanimate objects, it never really works with anything that involves relationship. "Hey honey, suppers on the stove and the pantry is filled, I'll be gone for months, see you." Relationships require involvement and engagement if they are to be done well and any relationship that operates in the fill and forget mode in your life, is suffering. Hosea has something to offer about the problem of fill and forget.
       Hosea 13:6 says..."when they had grazed and they became full, they were filled, and their heart was lifted up; therefore they forgot me." Reminds me of Proverbs 30:8b-9 "Give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full and deny you and say "Who is the Lord?" or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God."
       It's a tricky thing being full, maybe hunger a little more often would be of value.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.