Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Micah: Adventures in Missing the Point; Expectations

September 25th, Micah

       What do you want from me? Very easily a statement of frustration that could be spoken in any relationship. Be it with family, friends, workplace, neighbor, we all live in some expectation with our interpersonal relationships. Sometimes those are clear, when they get muddy and offenses pile up, the first line gets spoken in numerous ways.
       I think of dating relationships when people don't know what they want. Do they want to be close and get serious about this or do they want their freedom and do things to repulse being close. The poor guy/girl who has to figure it out can be overwhelmed and eventually give up...what do you want from me?
       Our relationship with God certainly has some opinions, versions of normal, and the advice from others can get complex. Micah dives into the issue of "What should I bring to the Lord?" What is the expectation? Letter of the law, intent of the law, get muddled for people. What does God really want from me?
       "With what shall I come before the Lord God...burnt offerings...calves a year old...a thousand rams...ten thousands of rivers of oil." I love hyperbole(exxageration to prove a point), literal people wonder if they should add ten thousands of rivers to the list or not...(adventures in missing the point) "Shall I give my firstborn...the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul..."
       The question goes out, What does God want from me? Things get confusing, but God clears it up for us... Do justly, love mercy,walk humbly with God. Do justly; do the right thing, don't use your position of power for the benefit of yourself. Love mercy; it's not about people owing you, it's about forgiveness and grace. Walk humbly with God; it's not about rivers of oil, calves, and burnt offerings.It's about a desire to know that on a constant/consistent basis I am right with God. The people we will become will be radically different if we'd do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with our God


No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.