Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Obadiah-Jonah Keeping it "real!"

September 24th, Obadiah-Jonah

       I don't want to proclaim God's love and redemptive plan to people because what I know is that... God is gracious, merciful, loving and he longs to keep disaster from people. If I go over to Ninevah and let them know all of this, they might repent and they'll never get punished like they deserve. Far be it from me to let that happen.
       Now that all of this has come true... "it is better for me to die than to live."
       It's hard to be wrong, it's hard to not make any sense, it's hard to hear our thoughts out loud and wonder how it all makes/made sense to us. I hear a lot of people proclaim they are just keeping it "real." It sounds like a good value at first, but if what is "real" is simply "wrong," there isn't a lot of value in being "really wrong."
       Jonah is certainly keeping it "real" in this story. I'll give him a few points for being honest(in a game where the points don't matter). In the end Jonah is wrong and it doesn't take too many quotes out of the book to see how far off base he is.
       For those who have an appreciation for keeping it "real", I can understand, Who wants a hypocrite right? But here is a value that's a lot bigger than just being real...it's that when we are being real...that we are right. Being real is a small value on it's way to a much bigger value. I know a lot of people who are real... and... they "just ain't right." There is nothing in this story that informs us if Jonah ever got it right, may that not be the case for us...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.