Saturday, December 14, 2013

2 Thess Simple is always better

December 14th, 2 Thessalonians

       I've served in, attended and known the pastors of many churches. Everytime I visit a church I wonder what makes this place special. Usually people use some frame of reference for which it is never about. Things like, how many people go here? What programs do they run? What's their mission statement? How's the parking? Do they sing old or new songs? What instruments do they use? How cool is the pastor? Most  of the questions asked are well-intentioned but misplaced.
       I have come to the conclusion that there are two things that really matter and another thing that ranks a close third. It's really as simple as this, How much do people really love Jesus and desire to honor Him with their life? How much do people have a genuine love for one another? This last year I sat in about 3-4 churches (other than my own) and it was the thing I was wondering, trying to observe and praying for in these bodies of believers. I pray that our church and your church could come to good answers to those questions.
       The third question that is a little less important, but still useful...Do the people of this church have a sense of what God is calling them to do? Which is not the same as... "What church growth book did you just read and what are you doing because of that?" Listening out of love for the Father, Listening out of love for my brothers/sisters, Listening to the Holy Spirit call me to...
       2 Thess 1:3 "We ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers, as is right, because your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing." Familiarity breeds...(contempt: human saying) increased love (God's version).
       Love God. Love People. Walk with the Spirit together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.