Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Deut 1-2 Speak clearly, Listen clearly, Is it really this hard?

February 27th, Deuteronomy 1-2

       Sometimes I am amazed at the miracle of communication...
I form an idea in my head...I find words to express my idea to another individual...they hear the words they hear...filter it through their own understanding...come to some conclusion about a meaning...repeat the process back.
       Any point along the way is an opportunity for failure. Incoherent idea, bad choice of words, hearing when you'd rather listen to sportscenter, having your filter set to "self". I spent years coaching HS football and Girls Basketball. I always felt like the boys filtered everything we asked them to do through the "how can I look really cool while I'm doing this filter," and girls filtered everything through the "I have to do this new skill absolutely perfect the first time I do it or I'll be too embarrassed to ever try again filter."
        It's probably the speaking and listening through these filters that cause as much problem as anything. A guy doesn't just do what I ask or even listen to what I ask. Always trying to figure out the cool factor, but then your coaches yelling at you for not listening...that's not cool. Communication is difficult on so many levels.
       Deuteronomy is a bit of a replay of stories we've heard. This morning we replay the promised land scenario. God says...take this land, I am with you, it will go well...filter(fear)...Let's stall this out a bit and send spies because God's word isn't enough...God said "go I am with you"...we said, nah we don't trust God...God said, okay go hang out in the desert...we said, okay we'll go to the promised land...God said don't go, I'm not going with you...we said, we didn't listen to you before, why should we listen now...God said, it won't go well for you without me...we said, we'll do it anyway... and the Amorites who lived in the hill country came out against you and chased you as a swarm of bees do.
       Awe communication. What filters do you have in your life that keep God's word from coming to you and changing the above scenario. That's the topic for church this Sunday, come join us if you can. Or hear the sermon at crossroadsduluth.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.