Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Num 3-4 How to Become a Spiritually Narcissistic Do-Gooder

February 12th, Numbers 3-4

       So you were born into the family of Levites. There is one career option for you, you get to be a priest. It is a high and noble calling, to represent people before God almighty. Kids from the tribe of Dan don't get to do this!!
       But human nature sets in and some Levite would rather be a farmer, wood worker, fireman or photographer. So here comes the big "R" word, or the big "D" word. The words we use with our children and sound so grown up, and yet we have to live into it as well. Are you ready.....Duty, Responsibility. 
       Sometimes I grow a little concerned with the modern churches affection for "all things easy." We use discussions about spiritual gifts to make things sound like serving God would always be the most fun, all of the time, because a loving God would never ask me to do anything that I wasn't 100% eager to do at any moment.
       It's not that I don't believe in Spiritual Gifts, but like the Priesthood...there are days! If you know what I mean. Days when duty trumps desire, days when responsibility overshadows ease. If we create a spiritual journey rooted in what I like, it's a different path than one that calls me to trust Christ. That God would be able to equip me for what he's called me to rather than only do through me what I like. One creates a Godly faithful servant, the other, a spiritually narcissistic do gooder.
       Who is gifted to lead millions out of Egypt? Who is gifted to be a Priest? Who is gifted to forsake family and spend a life on the mission field? Who is gifted to be a martyr? Who is gifted  to die to self and be remade as God intends...from the tribe of Levi or Dan...God's choice. 
      In the midst of the duty and responsibility becomes an ever increasing awareness of the indwelling Christ. More valuable than the feel good moments of service, and more staying power for moments of doubt, and a peace that can be lived in as a result of clarity in doing what God asks of us. 

1 comment:

  1. Haha...being in Guam has given me opportunity to try and catch up with you all in Bible reading (I'm still way behind...) but I wanted to say that this is this such a great reminder about God's call on our lives. It's not always comfortable, what we feel, or what we would like to do.

    ReplyDelete

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.