Thursday, February 21, 2013

Num 23-25 Semi-Obscure, Interesting Bible Story

February 21st, Numbers 23-25

       Welcome to the world of the wacky intermixed with God's interaction. Here's the main characters...

Balak: Playing the role of nervous King wanting to undermine the threat of the Israelites.
Balaam: Professional curser
Donkey: Donkey...that talks once in awhile

       So Balak is nervouse about this nation of people moving his way. Wants to hire Balaam to bring a curse on them. God tells Balaam "You can only say what I tell you to say." Balaam seems to be okay with this even though he is turning down a fortune. Balak expects money will solve it and goes ahead with his evil plan. Balak gives Balaam three chances to curse God's people. Each time Balaam offers a blessing instead!
       Interesting statement from the morning is the reaction of Balak after the third blessing. Numbers 24:10-14
       10 Then Balak’s anger burned against Balaam. He struck his hands together and said to him, “I summoned you to curse my enemies, but you have blessed them these three times.11 Now leave at once and go home! I said I would reward you handsomely, but the Lord has kept you from being rewarded.”
12 Balaam answered Balak, “Did I not tell the messengers you sent me, 13 ‘Even if Balak gave me his palace filled with silver and gold, I could not do anything of my own accord, good or bad, to go beyond the command of the Lord—and I must say only what the Lordsays’? 14 Now I am going back to my people, but come, let me warn you of what this people will do to your people in days to come.”

       Here's my great promise from today. God is in control of things beyond our ability to know. As much as an evil person with evil intent wanted to hire someone to bring a curse, God changed that curse into a blessing. It reminds of the verse about "no weapon formed against shall prosper."
       This story has more to come. These two will be back on the scene. It's safe to say this... God's not gonna let an outsider pronounce a curse over his people, but...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.