Saturday, February 2, 2013

Lev 5-7 Clean License Plates, Sticky Tabs

February 2nd, Leviticus 5-7

       So let's be honest, I kept reading hoping for one great verse that would be a great thought. The only real impression I got was a housekeeping thought. It seems to me that sprinkling blood on the front of the altar and sprinkling flour all around would make for quite a caked on mess.
       The other thought is simply the routine of all of this. Day after day, animal after animal, for a million people or more. I did think of the integrity of the priests. The command was one handful of flour to be sprinkled on the altar the rest is for the priests to use. What if the handful gets smaller and smaller because the priest wants more and more. It's a heart issue about not only doing your job, but doing it the way God asks you too.
       Speaking of the heart, all of God's commands in all of this can be just an obligation or an offering of praise or apology to the Lord. With the advantage of knowing other parts of scripture we know that "Rams and bulls and all these things I have." "The cattle on a thousand hills belong to God." This is not an issue of God's need of these things.  What God really wants in these matters, what God has always wanted and will always want is a "broken and contrite heart."
       As in our life, sometimes the details of what is going on overshadows the heart of what God wants. God wants to be connected at the heart with his people. He wants things clean because he wants to be close.
       I just gots my tabs for my truck. My license plates are cold, my plates are dirty with sand and road grit from cold, frozen MN roads. I have to get the plates clean so the "2014"sticker will adhere. God wants nothing between us and Him, us and each other. To live in an inspiring version of reconciliation. That's my prayer today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.