Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Matthew 18-19 Lost Sheep or Prodigal Son

October 9th, Matthew 18-19

       The Lost Sheep or the Prodigal Son, how do you tell the difference. You know the story of the lost sheep, the shepherd sees that one is missing and goes out to find it. As a youth pastor for many years , sometimes I felt the pressure from parents to go out and find their lost sheep. Like this story was about my ability to be a better shepherd. If Terry was a better shepherd he'd go get my teenager and make them go to church.
       I always wrestled with that. Am I being a bad shepherd or is there more to the story. I think about the prodigal son and the dad in that instance. The dad waited in hope, but didn't head out and force him to come back. Coming back was the choice of the prodigal. After all the father didn't leave, the son did.      
       So the question was always...is there a lost sheep thing going on or a prodigal thing going on. For a lost sheep, I'll do my part...if it's "Breaking Amish"there is really nothing I can do but pray and hope. Parents aren't looking for pray and hope however, they're looking for the fix...NOW.
       The context of the story is all about children, little ones. Ones that need our defense, help, that we have to watch out for. Rejoicing over being reunited with a little one after getting lost in the department store is the picture I see with this lost sheep. How much rejoicing after that!! They can't take care of themselves they need me.
       At some point they grow up, maybe demand their inheritance and walk away. It's one thing to be little and wonder off, another thing to be of age and walk away. I pray for you parents of older children. That you would trust the One who holds your children in His hands. Trust they'll walk back to the home that offers life. Those moments waiting at the window are tough, but I pray they are rooted in hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.