Thursday, July 25, 2013

Eccles 5-8 Taking Good Steps

July 25th, Ecclesiastes 5-8

       When we spend time in God's word we tend to identify with characters in the story. We also tend to identify with the character that is similar to our perception of our self. If we see ourselves as heroes, we are probably the Good Samaritan. If we see ourselves as victims, we associate with the one who has fallen to robbers that have beaten us one more time. From those starting points we look at the story. It's a good thing to see the story from different angles and helpful for the full counsel of God to step in offer a more complete look.
       Todays's beginning in Chapter 5 is a good example. "Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. To draw near to listen is better than to offer the sacrifice of fools." The phrase "sacrifice of fools" always catches my attention. See the problem is that if a fool brings a foolish sacrifice, they will never know it. That is the essence of being a fool. If you intentionally bring a fools sacrifice that is a whole different matter.
       Since a fool doesn't know that what he is doing is foolish, I have to wonder...is that me? Do I bring a sacrifice of fools? I perceive that my sacrifice is genuine...but so does the fool. I don't want to be a fool. I don't want to think I'm the hero in this story if I am not. So the first part speaks well to us..."Guard your steps when you go to the house of God."
       It's not a nervous, fearful approach to Sunday Meeting, but learning to live in an honest appraisal of having the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart being pleasing in the sight of my God. Guarding my steps sounds very intentional. I imagine sneaking through the woods not stepping on branches or dry leaves...quiet steps. So should it be with our steps of life, watchful, intentional with a consistent desire to bring honor to our Lord. Being mindful of our steps...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.