Monday, July 8, 2013

Psalm 119 What God wants from Aleph to Taw

July 8th, Psalm 119

       Welcome to the longest book in the bible. A couple of things about it that might/might not be worthy of our attention. First of all the book as a whole is an acrostic. Your bible maybe has a letter of the alphabet as a subtitle between every 8 verses. In Hebrew, each line in the section would start with that letter.
       Almost without fail each section includes a reference to God's law, precepts, commandments, statutes, ordinances, rules, God's ways. If your a free spirit with an independent streak, this chapter will rub you the wrong way to no end.
       Here's a couple of great takeaways based on the above. God's order is in everything from A to Z or in this case "Aleph to Taw."
       Secondly, God has a law, God has a way that he expects people to follow. Our society proclaims that love is letting people do anything, "whatever makes you happy" is proclaimed as though it were common sense. God says differently, he says there is one way and it's my way and it is the way of life. If you want to find it you have to choose the correct way.
       It's why David speaks so glowingly of it. I love your law, I meditate on it day and night, I don't want to deviate from it, your commandments are my delight, teach me your statutes. I consider all your precepts to be right, I hate every false way. False ways lead to destruction, why would I want that??
       It's easy to want what we want, the invitation is to want what God wants from A to Z!!

Focusing on What God Wants,

Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.