Friday, June 28, 2013

Psalm 78-79 We forget. God remembers.

Guest Blogger: Cheri Hudspith - sister to Terry White


My very first thought after reading Psalm 78 is that the people of God are “a piece of work”. It was true of Israel. It’s true of us today.

I went back and pulled the list of words that describe God’s activity:

Established
Appointed
Commanded the people to remember
Performed wonders
Full of wrath
Gave manna and meat
Killed some of them
Compassionate
Restrained his anger

Then I looked again, this time for the list of words that describe the people of Israel:

Did not keep
Refused
Forgot
Sinned
Rebelled
Tested
Spoke against
Unbelieving
Being killed (something that got their attention but for such a short time and superficially)

As I said before, this causes me to acknowledge we are tough to work with. My second response is to marvel at God’s ability to be all that He is at once. He is angry with their responses. He is mindful of their lack of capacity. God remembered, “ … that they were but flesh… (78:39)” He acts in harsh ways at times to get their attention but given how people typically respond was there any other choice? Isn't it for their good?

I have given up trying to understand when and why God allows the hard things to come into our lives. That’s God’s part of the relationship.  I do know that I want to have a different heart than the one I am prone to have in the flesh. I don’t want to be like the Israelites are described in this Psalm. I want a keeping, remembering, accepting, testifying and believing heart instead.

I want to remember the closing words of Psalm 78 about God. “With an upright heart he shepherded them and guided them with a skillful hand.” Isn't that amazing? Amazing Grace.  I for one know that I have needed every ounce of grace that God has poured out in my direction.

www.beloved-daughter.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.