Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Psalms 25-31 Beauty Eh!!

June 18th, Psalms 25-31

Beauty

Psalm 27:4 "to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord"

       It's a word that caught my attention this morning much like beauty does. I'm inspired by a beautiful things like the rest of us. A sunset, photograph, landscape, bonsai, or my wife. Beauty draws you in, it's hard to stop looking at beauty. The focus draws us to something to the exclusion of other things that seem less beautiful.
       Beauty is said to be in the eye of the beholder. What beauty do I see and what beauty is missed by my untrained eye? How have I missed the beauty of the Lord and misplaced it with things less beautiful?
       I think of going to the shore and my kids looking for rocks. Beautiful rocks, rocks that catch your attention. Some are found easily, but evaluations begin to get a little suspect after looking at so many simple, average, not beautiful rocks. How have I given up the most beautiful thing for a whole host of average?
       I wonder how reasonable is it for me to gaze upon something I can't see. Maybe my imagination needs to works a little harder to fill in blanks. How vain would it be to follow Jesus because he was the best looking man of all time? How vain are we...for focusing more on an external beauty? A facade that pleases our eyes, but messes with our heart.
       Beauty is not a usual word to describe God. But when I think of the responses I see to beauty, maybe it'll change how I look at, seek, and focus on the beauty of Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.