Sunday, June 16, 2013

Psalms 17-20 To the Greatest Father of All

June 16th, Psalms 17-20

It's fun to know the story behind the Psalms. Psalm 18 is written after a day of deliverance from Saul's hand. These words weren't written while David sat on a couch eating bon-bons imagining what hardship felt like, he lived the real deal. Hear his words after escaping death...

Psalm 18 1-3, 6-8
       I love you, Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;  my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,  my shield[b] and the horn[c] of my salvation, my stronghold. I called to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I have been saved from my enemies.

In my distress I called to the Lord I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice;   my cry came before him, into his ears. The earth trembled and quaked, and the foundations of the mountains shook; they trembled because he was angry. Smoke rose from his nostrils;  consuming fire came from his mouth,    burning coals blazed out of it.

Words poured out from the experiences of life. A recognition of who God is and what he does!!

One of my Favorite Psalms...

Psalm 19: 1-4, 14
The heavens declare the glory of God; he skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;     night after night they reveal knowledge.
They have no speech, they use no words;    no sound is heard from them.
Yet their voice[b] goes out into all the earth,    their words to the ends of the world.

May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
 be pleasing in your sight,     Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.


I always thinks in terms of contrast. I hear that God's creation pours forth speech and I try to think of the opposite. I think of the drip of a faucet that seeks to waste water and drive me mad. Imagine being thirsty and having the faucet stuck like that, one drip after another drip...drip........drip....................drip. I am thankful for God pouring out the revelation of himself that we aren't left ringing a dry towel. Keep enjoying Psalms and...


HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.