Friday, January 4, 2013

Gen 12-15 4000 Years Later...

January 4th  Genesis 12-15

       Great things are birthed in obscurity. The great idea has an incubation period. Sometimes we see the fulfillment of the idea and imagine it to have always been that way. 4000 years after today's passage we are where we are, but it all started with one man and a Promise.
       Yesterday, God saw a nation that he wanted to confuse and scatter, because all they wanted was notoriety for themselves. It's not that God does want to bless people, it's just that he chooses people with the  right heart and the right intent.

       "I will make of you a great nation and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you the families of the earth shall be blessed."  God to Abram- Genesis 12:2-3

       I marvel at these first pioneers who placed their faith in God. They have no advantage of the proven track record of God interacting with His people like we do. Sometimes in life I have to lean into the proven faithfulness of God. A great cloud of witnesses that proclaim, God knows my name, catches my tears, and in Genesis 15:13-16 knows the next 400 hundred years(and more) of history.
       All of what we know today is rooted in a promise long, long ago. In an age where promises don't always mean much, there is a promise that comes from God, that seeks to bear fruit in us. Fruit that bears fruit, that bears fruit. I pray you've found a home in a promise that is 4000 years old and as fresh and inspiring as it ever was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.