Thursday, January 17, 2013

Gen 48-50 Great Endings

January 17th, Genesis 48-50

       These last chapters of Genesis are like the end to a good tear-jerker of a movie. The story begins to end with Jacob blessing two of the brothers. The part of the story where Joseph tries to alter the blessing and just have it go to the oldest is interesting. In the end, father-knows-best (thank you very much son). From my vantage point it all seems like a really cool moment of blessing for everyone. Jacob was part of stealing a blessing from his brother, but this feels more like a blessing for all.
       Chapter 49 is the spoken proclamation of blessing for each of his sons. In it I witness a great awareness that a father has for his children. In it I sense a rich moment of intimacy and pray that when I am on my deathbed I would really know my family that well. As great as I feel about this moment and the knowledge of an earthly father doing it well, I am overwhelmed by the thought of our Heavenly Father who knows us even better and the great privilege it is to be carried by the one who knows our name, collects our tears, and has our image on the palm of his hand.
       Chapter 50 speaks of a grand solemn moment for honoring life. The nations witness the burial and the impact of a family line on millions of people. All of this interrupted by the fear of brothers. Brothers who think their father's death is now opportunity for Joseph to get his revenge. And again a moment of forgiveness. A moment where I wonder how I would react if the people who brought me the most harm in my life, combined with me having absolute power to do with them as I wish... what would I do?
       Praise God for a great role model for us. Life and hope always has more value than grudges and revenge. The jealousy of some brothers saved the lives of millions, and the grace and mercy of God come through the hands of the victim. May it be so for us as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.