Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Gen 46-47 Packing Lite

January 16th, Genesis 46-47

       Many of you know that a new growing edge for for me is learning how to live with "less" rather than the typical "more."  Buy more shelves so I can store more. Exercise more so I can eat more.A restlessness always seeking to acquire and failing to appreciate. Then the acquisition of much holds a requirement of maintenance that fails to keep pace. Acquiring a new plant is more fun than weeding the garden. I've excused myself from weeding for a long time in many areas of life. And just like the weeds that suck energy from healthy plants, I am discovering the many ways that the life Christ has for me has been lessened one small bit at a time.
       I say all of that in relation to the story today because of one word that caught my attention. SOJOURN
Sojourn has to do with a temporary stay. It reminds me of the plains indians we studied growing up in Kansas. When this journey of life is mobile, one has to reduce their belonging to what they need. To not gather more than is needed. Like the manna we will soon read about. Not living in want, but knowing what is actual verses what is excess. The excess is a burden, and yet considered by many to be a sign of success. 
       Most of what I own will end up in a landfill someday and much is not useful for my sojourn here. My daily bread doesn't require as big a pantry and freezer as we own and shelving units are piling up in my garage, empty, like they should have been. 
       I want to continue this sojourn with the weight of the yoke and burden Christ promised... easy and light.

1 comment:

  1. We reflect the American Dream in that we always want to "super size' the worldly aspects of daily life. The reality is Less Is More...

    ReplyDelete

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.