Saturday, December 28, 2013

Revelation 9-12 Big World, Big God!!

December 28th, Revelation 9-12

       In the relative peace and ease of the society we live in, it is a very different thing for us to think in terms of war-like adversity. Not that we don't have soldiers living in that reality, but it's very different than a people group around the globe that has known nothing but fighting for several generations.
       We open up this text and trumpets are being blown and a third of mankind is being destroyed. A woman is giving birth and a dragon is is throwing away a third of the stars and chasing this mother and child(shades of the Christmas story and a flight to Egypt).
       For me, it's all a reminder about the bigger picture. We live in our day to day highs and lows, we allow things to revolve around us. A text like Revelation is a call to realize the battle taking place in the far reaches of the universe. Evil and Holiness in a war that includes everything and all of the sudden, my life appears to be as small as it is.  In the midst of coming to grips with this reality it forms the question, what does God want from me… then it goes back to what I've blogged about. The passages I love that sum things up…do justly, love mercy, walk humbly.
       The big stuff is too overwhelming. How do I help a lady being chased by a dragon? Since I'm not Mario de Nintendo, the real answer is, I look to God who is my help, my fortress, my strong tower. Revelation is a book with "over the top" excitement. It gives the feeling like I've changed roles from participant to spectator because what's happening goes way beyond my control(like it always is).
       The good news from today's reading is 11:15b "The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ and He shall reign forever and ever." The day God is in control and we willingly submit as a whole…a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion, add an insight, learn together.